The implementation of the project entitled GINOP-2.1.7-15-2016-00723 “Development of a prototype of a new, innovative bee product family and study of its health-protective effect” started on 02.10.2017 and was completed on 15.04.2020. This professional work is summarized in our report .
In the work plan, the tasks were divided into 3 modules :
Module A) Use of herbs in the production of " More Than Honey " products
- Establishment of active substance transformation, optimization of beekeeping technology: in 2018 the studies were mainly focused on the study of different active substance extraction methods, in 2019 the focus of the studies was on feeding experiments. The experiments were documented in syrup preparation and feeding logs by the participating beekeepers .
- Organoleptic panel testing of products: in August 2019, the XXVIII. The new prototype products were presented at the Farmer-Expo Trade Fair in Debrecen, where we examined the honey consumption habits and the market acceptance of the developed prototype products during a questionnaire survey. The public showed outstanding interest in the presented prototype products and the presentation stand was personally visited by Dr. István Nagy, Minister of Agriculture. Another organized product presentation took place in September 2019 on the Bihar Honey Day in Berettyóújfalu. At both product presentations, one product each received a certificate of recognition .
Module B) Intake of iodine naturally occurring in mineral and medicinal waters in the production of " More Than Honey " products
- Determination of iodine drug transformation during the product path, customization of beekeeping technology: for this we used bee feed based on sage and sea buckthorn. In 2018, we produced the prototype product by feeding bee feed made with Pávai Vajna mineral water, while in 2019 we made an iodine-containing bee product using Jodaqua iodine medicinal water on a sea buckthorn basis. In each case, we compared the reception and effects of iodine-containing bee feed on the life of bee colonies with control families fed in parallel (without iodine).
- Clinical examination of products: At the BAZ County Central Hospital and University Teaching Hospital in Miskolc with the participation of 15 volunteers, where the iodine-containing bee product was added to 150 ml of yoghurt and consumed for 21 days. As a result of studies and follow-up, the product had outstanding physiological effects in strengthening the immune system based on statistical evaluation. As a control of iodine sea buckthorn, a green walnut bee product developed as part of module A) was also used with the involvement of 15 volunteers, as a result of which there was a significant demonstrable decrease in blood sugar levels after consuming the green walnut bee product.
Module C) Use of algae culture or extract in the production of "More Than Honey" products
- Investigation of the usability of different algal strains for the production of bee feed, customization of beekeeping technology: one of the most innovative elements of the project is the usability of different algae strains as bee feed. In the course of this, the Chlorella and Scenedesmus strains utilized in the form of freshwater cultures were examined, and the powdered Spirulina strain of marine origin was also examined. As part of the development, we determined the optimum by changing the ratio of different algae strains and sugar syrup, and optimizing the pH value was an important part of the customization of beekeeping technology. Algae can be successfully used not only for the production of finished products, but also as winter feeding food for bees (which can also be considered as an alternative prototype product), the effect of which was row.
- Clinical testing of products: A bee product made with green algae-based bee feed was also tested with the participation of 15 volunteers as described in module B). Here, acacia honey was used as a control, also involving 15 people. As a result of the study, it has been demonstrated that the consumption of algae uterine product reduces hemorrhage, which can be extremely important in post-operative drug-induced treatments .
Prototype product variants developed as a result of the project :
- Herbs: 11 types (dill, green walnuts, horseradish-lemon, chicken string, thyme, peppermint, celery leaves, celery tubers, ginger, beets, black radish)
- Iodine-containing bee products: 2 types (Pávai Vajna with mineral water, Jodaqua with medicinal water)
- Algae bee products: 2 + 2 types (Green algae, Blue algae, Green algae with sea buckthorn, Green algae - Blue algae)
The development also involved the review and modification of the technology of the previously developed “More Than Honey” products. During the development, the Innovative Food Cluster Ltd. processed the samples under the leadership of Dr. József Prokisch, associate professor, to verify the extraction and transformation of the active ingredient, ie the incorporation of valuable components into the finished product, during which 176 antioxidant and total polyphenol measurements and 143 GC-MS measurements and 21 iodine tests were performed. As a result, it has been demonstrated that 70-150% of the active ingredients are transferred from the raw material (typically enriched) to the finished product. The scientific value of the database of nearly 9,600 studies performed in human clinical trials goes far beyond the scope of the implemented project and has created the basis for many domestic and international professional publications, lectures and scientific analyzes.